Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Honda HDS Reset 2006 S2KI Airbag SRS

Question: I need to reset the airbag light in my Honda s2ki MY06. Any idea of what scanner I need for that? I don't really want to go to the dealership.


Answer:

You probably need Honda HDS software and an OBD-II dongle. I purchased those things late last year with success to re-calibrate the passenger airbag sensor in my 06. It was < $110.

You may be able to clear SRS codes with a normal OBD-II machine but I'm not sure. To access all of the Honda software BS in the 06+, you need Honda HDS. You're probably going to pay that much if you go to a Honda dealership to clear it anyways. 


HDS software installed and I ran the Seat Weight Sensor (SWS) Initialization process and everything is working as it came from the factory. SRS light on dash is off. Seat belt light comes on the dash if I sit in the pass. seat without buckling my OEM receptacle. Pass. Airbag "Off" light displays when I buckle the seatbelt and have no weight in the seat. "Off" light goes off once I sit in the seat. So happy it all worked.

Onto the Ballade rail. First of all, I'm stoked they make it and it's a good product that could use some fine tuning.
  • Pros
    • First in, best dressed as the only product currently available for side mount seats with weight sensors
    • OEM Weight sensors work!
    • OEM sliders are smooth
    • Fits great. Idk if it's Pole Position specific but it bolted to the seats perfectly and lined up great once put in the car. Yes, it's OEM rails but they're 2 pieces and I was worried it may be difficult. Very easy and great fit.
    • You re-use your factory SRS box under the passenger seat. I later learned that you actually have to and even with the HDS, the documentation indicates you can't use one out of a different car. People who sell their OEM seats should know this.
    • Ballade did a great job getting the little SRS box/bracket as low as possible. I think it's lower than OEM and will allow a bucket to sit pretty low without interfering. It's positioned the best it can be.
    • For parts, pretty much same as my PCI rail. Ballade also includes nylon washers/spacers for the seat's side mount to protect it from the metal rails.
  • Cons
    • Seat belt receptacle bracket on trans tunnel side is not located where it should be. It is located forwards of the harness holes in the seat. It should be back further for ideal safety. I'm not a safety engineer or knowledgeable enough to comment on how good/bad this is. It looks and feels fine in the car and I think it works but it's not ideal. I think this may be because the passenger trans tunnel sticks out further as it goes back. I'm not sure there would be enough room for a belt mount properly far back.
    • Rails could use some finishing. Ballade removes some rivets from the OEM rails to bolt on their own side brackets. That space left some bare metal. I shared feedback with Ballade and they claimed that's how it is from the factory. That is likely true but I did take mine apart and sand/paint them.
    • I had to drill a hole in my passenger seat belt receptacle mount to allow for mounting the slider's cable. I'm not sure if this is specific to mine or if it is generally an oversight of the product. The back story is that my rails did not initially ship with the seat belt receptacle mount on the trans tunnel side. I emailed Ballade and they had one shipped out to me quickly. Maybe when they do assembly, they typically drill it themselves. Not sure, but I had to do it myself.

The finishing stuff is not a huge deal but it is an expensive product that I think could be better refined. The seat belt receptacle mount is really the only part that has not been easily remedied. I'm not sure if that's oversight or if it's not possible because of the shape of the trans tunnel.

It works! Paying for HDS software + a HIM cable was probably cheaper ($110) than going to a dealer. I also am not confident I could go to a dealer and demand they run the SWS initialization without them doing their own assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment